Bonus Video 2 — Adding Scan Codes to Photo Books
From the Manual
Upload a Video
- Upload a video to YouTube.
- Click on the video camera icon and choose Upload Video.
- Set the view to Public or Unlisted.
- Then click on the upload icon, navigate to a video, and upload.
- Drag your mouse over the video URL to highlight it, then Right click (Mac: Ctrl click) on the highlighted text and click Copy.
Create a Scan Code
- Open a QR code generator.
- Paste in the URL from your youtube video into the appropriate box.
- Choose Static over Dynamic.
- Download the QR code image.
Use the QR Code Image
- Rename the image to coincide with the naming convention you are using.
- Use the image just as you would a photo.
- To find an app for scanning QR codes such as this, search your App Store for "barcode scanner."
From the Transcript
Sometimes a video is the only thing that will represent a particular event. In that case, you can add a video to a photo book by utilizing the power of YouTube and scan codes.
To begin, upload a video to YouTube. You will have to have a Youtube account to do this, but it’s free to set up and it only takes a moment. Then, click on the video camera icon and choose Upload Video. Next, set the view to Public or Unlisted. If you select Private, others will not be able to view the video. Then click on the Upload icon, navigate to a video, and upload. You’ll immediately be given the URL of your finished video. This is the link that others will need to view the video itself.
Next, drag your mouse over the video URL to highlight it, then right click on the highlighted text and click Copy. Once you see the Done button on the page, you'll know that your video is ready to view. If you want to test your video, send the link to a friend and see if they can view it.
Next you will want to create a scan code. To do that open a code generator. You can find these readily available on the internet for free. These are also called QR Code generators. In this particular online software, all you will need to do is to paste the URL from your Youtube video into the website URL box on the web page. You will want to choose Static and then click on Create QR Code. When finished you'll be given the option to download the QR Code image. It may appear as if you need to create an account to get the image, but if you just wait a couple seconds, they'll give up on you and you'll be able to download it for doing nothing.
Once downloaded, you'll want to rename the image to coincide with the naming convention that you're using for your files. Then, use the image just as you would a photo. You can place it in a book or online. Smartphone users will then be able to scan the code shown in your book and watch the video you uploaded. To find an app for scanning QR Codes such as this, search your app store for Barcode Scanner. So that's how to include a video in a photo book.